Monday, December 13, 2010

Joyeux Noël! ¡Feliz Navidad! Noheri Nziza! Sherehe ya Krismasi!

That means merry Christmas in French/Spanish/Kinyarwanda/Swahili, all languages that I attempt to speak...This may be my last post of 2010 (SO WEIRD saying that, time is juuust flying) because on Saturday I am heading sans-laptop to the mythical island of Zanzibar, which, by the way, I didn’t know was a real place until I came to East-Africa ha! I just thought it was a made-up name from that Tenacious D song…

Anyways, people are asking what Christmas is like in Rwanda. To tell you the truth, I have nooo idea. I keep asking Rwandese so that I can give you back home an answer, but all I have been able to gather is that
a) they go to church a lot if they are Christian
b) they hang out with their family
c) they know what Santa is, but he’s a white dude that doesn’t come to Africa
d) there are no Christmas trees or stockings or presents or turkey and only lights on a few of the round-abouts in town.

So. It's quite a bit different than Christmas at home, where I still believe in Santa (hehe) and people ask me 'what I want' every year, and there are HUGE turkey dinners and I decorate my house for hours on end before the annual Christmas Sweater Party (have fun at it this year you hooligans, hope Shayla's fam is ready for it!!). It's this time of year when the girls of 29 Highland watch the Holiday Yule Log on TV for the last time before heading home after exams:
Merry Christmas Reeb, Jose, Ewin, Kimbo and Alex: ours was definitely NOT this sophisticated
with Blu-Ray haha but this is as close as we'll get...
It's also a time when I would read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve, then try to wake my family up on Christmas Day at 6 AM in order to watch the Grinch (cartoon version, obviously), open stockings and presents and then eat eggs benedict before heading out to the Miller's. YUMMM.

Obviously it was pretty strange for me yesterday when I was heading home from a Safari in Akagera National Park (which was unbelievable, pictures and video of an elephant chasing our Land Cruiser soon to come...giraffes, impalas and hippos, oh my!) and I was listening to my favourite tunes about chestnuts roasting, sleigh bells, and White Christmases from Bing, NSync, Sarah McLachlan, Sinatra and Mr. King Cole. No matter how many times I watch Love Actually, or the Holiday, it doesn't feel like Christmas at all. I think it's the combination of lack of snow, the lack of access to a piano so I can play hours of Christmas tunes, lack of a warm fireplace to cuddle up to with a mug of hot choc and cookies, and the fact that my roommate is as into Christmas as Scrooge was. Except unlike Scrooge, Caroline will not have a change of heart and become Christmasy. She is lucky that she embodies what Christmas technically is all about, being kind-hearted and how she appreciates the company of family and friends during the season, or else I'd have to move out HAHA. Even though I don't have any of these things, I'm not feeling homesick, because virtually nothing here reminds me of Christmas at home. It seems like this year, it might be just like any other day.

Anyways, this doesn't mean that it will be any more inferior of a Christmas than one at home, it will just be very, very different. December in Rwanda is changing my perspective about what aspects of Christmas are most important to me. Presents are not one of those things anymore, unless it is presents in the form of food...tee hee.

So what do I want for Christmas? Even when my parents offered to send me stuff from home, I just asked for typical food from home, turkey and all the fixings. Clearly this didn't happen haha. But some cards and a couple of gifts did manage their way here with C's mom (THANKS FAMILY, LOVE YOU!). But really, all I want is for people to send me pictures or descriptions in words of all of the glorious food and baking during the holiday season. And even if you can't do that, all I want is for everyone to be safe and enjoy the time with your loved ones. And to enjoy a couple of rum and eggnogs on my behalf. And shred some powder up at WH2O while you're at it, please.

So although I will be missing home and the Christmas spirit, I am starting to dread my departure date of February 25th. Molly (from Sask) just left today and Reeb is leaving next Monday. I am getting a little preview as to what it will be like when I have to leave, and it's not looking pretty. It's a strange feeling, just up and leaving these relationships you've formed with people, especially since you don't know if you'll ever see them again.

C, S and I will be heading out on a 30+ hour bus ride to Dar es Salaam on Saturday, and will soon after be enjoying the white-sandy beaches, seafood and drinks in Zanzibar (where it currently 'feels like' 37 degrees with the humidity). Not bad for a Christmas holiday, I must say.

Well, 2010 was full of unexpected things and people, and I am so excited to see what 2011 brings (hopefully not the end of the world on Dec 31st..).  So wherever Christmas takes you, I hope that you all enjoy it and think about what it is really all about for you! And that you have a Happy New Year :)

And in the good words of my main man Santa Claus:
"Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!"

Much Love,
L

PS Here's one of my favourites: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuTWA6SBupY

4 comments:

  1. I feel like maybe I SHOULDN'T have been talking to you about my thousand dollar Chanel purse moments before you write your next blog post, as there are at least THREE references to "What Christmas is all about" haha, oops.

    I also LOL'd at "Zanzibar being a made-up place from that Tenacious D song.." Hahaha!

    <3 you! Have fun on those white sandy beaches eating that yummy seafood & drinks! So jealous!

    xoxo MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Lauren!

    Sounds like you're getting a real appreciation for the TRUE meaning of Christmas - Yummy food. Well, maybe there were a few other important messages in there too..

    If I may quote the immortal words of Ms. Sheryl Crow, "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got." Thanks Sheryl, thanks a bundle.

    Love,
    Brother Evan

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - Heard this Christmas Carol on the radio for the first time yesterday. It's tragically hilarious - mostly in that it sounds like something Corbin and I might have written and performed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZMEXlHUQ0w. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey little elephant chaser / blogger, thanks for your Christmas message. I must stay that this holiday will not be the same for us either having you so far away. We think of you everyday honey, and please remember to come home in February.
    xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete